Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Journey Begins

As I said last week in my business blogs, I've decided to blog here about what a "long, strange trip it's been."  Have to do something here, since I don't really get around much anymore.  I've decided to tell this journey as a series of cautionary tales, laying out the mistakes that have dictated the course.

Journeys really begin in high school years.  Up until then, life is almost entirely inflicted on you.  In high school you start making choices for yourself.  And you start screwing up under your own power.

I committed a life-altering screw-up in high school.  I was good in math.  I took two years of calc in high school, and I've tutored college algebra.  My math and science teachers did their best to get me to press on, but I just wouldn't have it.  I was more interested in history.  Didn't think it through very well.  Apologies to Bob Oliver, Ray Fielder, and Leonard Warren.

It would have been good if someone had smacked me between the eyes and said, "Just what are you going to do with that?  The alternatives are limited to the following: teaching school, getting a doctorate and entering academe, and law.  Anyone who says there are other options is speaking with a big shovel."  No one said anything like that, though.  And doubly no one said anything about the real prerequisites for academe and law, mostly because none of them had clue one about it.

So I abandoned STEM and blundered on in the humanities.  And now let me tell you, kiddies: Those motivational speakers who tell you to do what you love?  That's a dangerous crock.  First, you can't really know if you love a certain activity until you're settled deeply into it, and then it's too late.  Second, only two types of people have a decent chance of doing what they love: people who had it handed to them by Daddy, and people like those motivational speakers whose great love is ripping people off.  The best you can hope for is something you're interested in that will support you and keep you interested.  You have to keep that hard, cold truth right in front of you and plan everything accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment